Following is the procedure for installing PHP’s ‘xdebug’ extension for XAMPP on linux (most of the installation procedure is same as http://www.xdebug.com/docs/install but there are a few quirks).
- First you have to install XAMPP development package (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html) for your XAMPP installation. This package provides the necessary source files needed to compile the extra stuff
- Download ‘xdebug’ source from http://www.xdebug.com/ , uncompress it in a suitable directory, cd to that directory.
- Now run phpize
Shell1[amit@amit xdebug-2.0.0RC4]$ /opt/lampp/bin/phpize
- Configure the extension
Shell1[amit@amit xdebug-2.0.0RC4]$ ./configure --enable-xdebug --with-php-config=/opt/lampp/bin/php-config
- Run ‘make’ to get the compiled xdebug.so
Shell1[amit@amit xdebug-2.0.0RC4]$ make
- Copy the xdebug.so file to PHP’s extensions directory (you may need root privileges for this)
Shell1[root@amit xdebug-2.0.0RC4]# cp modules/xdebug.so /opt/lampp/lib/php/extensions
- After that edit php.ini file and add
- Lastly restart XAMPP and check phpinfo for Xdebug extension
I can’t think of what can possibly go wrong with the above setup instructions but if it does, put in a comment and I can try to help